Happiness, this seems to confuse and befuddle even the best of us. We want it, but the more we seek it the more it avoids us. As a Christian even this avoids me it seems. But has my Pastor has been pointing out in sermons it isn’t a matter of what you have or what your situation is. But it is a soul matter that brings happiness to us.
Most of us think about happiness in two different ways:
1. That we need to seek out things/ people which will make us happy.
2. Our circumstances dictate how happy we are at any given time.
To deal with the first response to looking for happiness in a worldly way. Seeking out things/ people to make us happy will ether disappoint us when the object to our happiness fails us. This can lead to being co-dependant. Also this mind set will get the better of us, as we literally will have us wading through mounds of stuff. Such as in the case of hoarding things. Both can turn into energy and happiness drains.
Here is a quote from Pastor Dee on this sort of thing. ” If your joy level is dictated by our circumstances then you will not be happy”. He also mentioned that the problem is not the pursuit of happiness but it is what you believe will make you happy.
With this in mind, some people believe that seeking happiness is self-centered thinking. But as I have learned God has created in us the desire and want to be happy in life. No matter what is happening around us. So we shouldn’t try to resist the desire for happiness, but we should be happy in all things. Seeking out happiness in all things, and at all times.
How happy we are is a gauge of how we are doing in life. And the more we actively seek God, the more we will be happier in our lives. Following is a list of things you can do daily which will help you seek God and happiness.
1. Through out the day declare to God ” You are my joy” .. Psalm 16:2 ‘I said to the Lord, “You are my Lord;
I have no good besides You.”
2. Read the Bible daily … John 15:11 “These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.”
3. Confess all known sin to God every day… Psalm 32:5 “I acknowledged my sin to You, And my iniquity I did not hide; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord”; And You forgave the guilt of my sin.”
4. Forgive anybody of everything and everybody of anything no matter how bad…. Hebrews 12:15 “See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled;”
5. Gather together with your church family regularly and often… Pslam 122:1 “I was glad when they said to me,
“Let us go to the house of the Lord.”
6. Worship God with energy and enthusiasm… Psalm 9:2 “I will be glad and exult in You;
I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High.”
I hope that this small devotional will help you in seeking happiness in all things. I know it has helped me. As the old hymn says ” It is well with my soul”. So it should be with us daily, our soul should resound with joy that God is with us daily and is our shelter.